Little Updates
So, it's been nearly a month since I posted anything, and my last blog was not exactly uplifting. It's amazing that Fed passed away just a month ago, it feels like it has been forever actually. I think I have come to terms with it - writing my little tribute helped me process my thoughts, it was nice to go home and see my old friends and teammate and run in honor of Fed, and I happened to be reading The Shack at the time, which really helped me understand some of the mysteries of faith and God (at least at that moment) and cope with loss.
Since then, I have started the new job and so far I am loving it. I am an Assistant Director/Career Counselor in the Career Services Center at St. Cloud State University. Not only do I love the content of what I do, but the experience has been great mostly because the staff I work with are AMAZING! So incredibly supportive and welcoming, open and encouraging, dedicated and student-oriented, and genuinely kind and family-like. It has made my transition very smooth. It took me awhile to acclimate to the new institution, and after being at the University of Iowa for 8 years I was not sure I would ever get that "I love my school" feeling that gives me a natural high. After all, I just work here and did not experience what it can be like as a student, but it is slowly growing on me. While the campus is relatively new and follows a 1960s-70s architecture, there are little things about it that are really beautiful - like the fountains! You know I love myself a good fountain! And it is set in a scenic location overlooking the Mississippi River, and there are tons of trails for running. And there are a lot of really great things happening on this campus and in the community that make me really excited to be here. Now that the students are back (classes started on Monday), I am really starting to feel at home! :-D
Brian and I are getting used to living together, although we still aren't entired unpacked or settled in. Because I have to get up so early to commute from Minneapolis, I've been going to bed pretty early... and he is busy this time of year with his job so he has had many late nights. But even though we don't get a lot of time together right now, it is so much better than long distance. Just getting to talk to him (in person) at the end of the day, chilling as we watch TV, etc. is wonderful. I am so glad the long distance is over!! It's hard to believe the wedding is just 6 weeks away... I am feeling stressed and overwhelmed and actually can't wait just to get it over with!
I have not been running much lately, sadly. I was really starting to get back into a good routine, but then with the move and the new job I just fell off the boat. I have, however, at least been keeping up with my long runs - and those have been getting better and better. My last run felt great and I barely even noticed that I was running for so long :) I'm up to 11 miles now and have a half marathon coming up in a few weeks. I had to readjust my training goals for this fall though, so I am now focusing on a half at the end of October instead of the one in Sioux Falls coming up... I'll use that as a training run. I also missed 2 shorter races I had planned for this month. The first one I purposely missed, only because it was after my first week of work and I was utterly exhausted. And then just this past weekend, I thought the 15K I signed up for was on Sunday morning, but it was on Saturday!! Luckily I discovered that late on Saturday night before I drove all the way up to Chisago City, but I was really bummed since I had full intentions of going to that one.
Other than that, I haven't really done much except go out to dinner a few times (including a trip to HuHot in Rochester, yum!) and have some friends come visit. I'm heading home to Chicago for my bridal shower and bachelorette party this weekend. My schedule is already jam packed, and when I have free time I am too tired to do anything else. But it's getting easier, and I imagine at some point I will feel like I have a "normal" life again. But do we ever REALLY have "normal" lives? I feel like it there is always something holding us back.
Since then, I have started the new job and so far I am loving it. I am an Assistant Director/Career Counselor in the Career Services Center at St. Cloud State University. Not only do I love the content of what I do, but the experience has been great mostly because the staff I work with are AMAZING! So incredibly supportive and welcoming, open and encouraging, dedicated and student-oriented, and genuinely kind and family-like. It has made my transition very smooth. It took me awhile to acclimate to the new institution, and after being at the University of Iowa for 8 years I was not sure I would ever get that "I love my school" feeling that gives me a natural high. After all, I just work here and did not experience what it can be like as a student, but it is slowly growing on me. While the campus is relatively new and follows a 1960s-70s architecture, there are little things about it that are really beautiful - like the fountains! You know I love myself a good fountain! And it is set in a scenic location overlooking the Mississippi River, and there are tons of trails for running. And there are a lot of really great things happening on this campus and in the community that make me really excited to be here. Now that the students are back (classes started on Monday), I am really starting to feel at home! :-D
Brian and I are getting used to living together, although we still aren't entired unpacked or settled in. Because I have to get up so early to commute from Minneapolis, I've been going to bed pretty early... and he is busy this time of year with his job so he has had many late nights. But even though we don't get a lot of time together right now, it is so much better than long distance. Just getting to talk to him (in person) at the end of the day, chilling as we watch TV, etc. is wonderful. I am so glad the long distance is over!! It's hard to believe the wedding is just 6 weeks away... I am feeling stressed and overwhelmed and actually can't wait just to get it over with!
I have not been running much lately, sadly. I was really starting to get back into a good routine, but then with the move and the new job I just fell off the boat. I have, however, at least been keeping up with my long runs - and those have been getting better and better. My last run felt great and I barely even noticed that I was running for so long :) I'm up to 11 miles now and have a half marathon coming up in a few weeks. I had to readjust my training goals for this fall though, so I am now focusing on a half at the end of October instead of the one in Sioux Falls coming up... I'll use that as a training run. I also missed 2 shorter races I had planned for this month. The first one I purposely missed, only because it was after my first week of work and I was utterly exhausted. And then just this past weekend, I thought the 15K I signed up for was on Sunday morning, but it was on Saturday!! Luckily I discovered that late on Saturday night before I drove all the way up to Chisago City, but I was really bummed since I had full intentions of going to that one.
Other than that, I haven't really done much except go out to dinner a few times (including a trip to HuHot in Rochester, yum!) and have some friends come visit. I'm heading home to Chicago for my bridal shower and bachelorette party this weekend. My schedule is already jam packed, and when I have free time I am too tired to do anything else. But it's getting easier, and I imagine at some point I will feel like I have a "normal" life again. But do we ever REALLY have "normal" lives? I feel like it there is always something holding us back.

1 Comments:
Excellent update. Even though I try to keep up with you, it is nice to read your thoughts about what's going on.
In the words of John Lennon, which I think applies to your last thoughts: "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans." Right here, right now, this is your life. Maybe it will even out at some point, but don't forget to enjoy what's happening...like those fountains. :-)
By
That's Not My Name, At
September 14, 2009 at 2:54 PM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home